Chicken gizzards might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but for those who enjoy them, they are a treat. These little powerhouse organs are packed with nutrients and flavor, and they can be cooked in a variety of ways. If you’re curious about how to cook chicken gizzards, this guide will show you how.
Preparing and Cleaning Chicken Gizzards
The first step in cooking chicken gizzards is to prepare and clean them properly. Here are the steps to follow:
1. Remove the gizzards from the packaging and place them in a colander.
2. Rinse them thoroughly under cold running water, making sure to remove any visible fat or debris.
3. Cut off any yellowish parts, which are the gallbladder and liver parts, as well as any tough connective tissues.
4. Cut the gizzards into bite-size pieces or slices, depending on the recipe.
Boiling Chicken Gizzards
One of the easiest ways to cook chicken gizzards is to boil them. Here’s how to do it:
1. Place the gizzards in a pot and add enough water to cover them.
2. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and let the gizzards simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until they are tender.
3. Drain the gizzards in a colander and discard the water.
4. Season the gizzards with salt, pepper, and other flavorings of your choice.
Frying Chicken Gizzards
Frying chicken gizzards gives them a crispy, flavorful crust that is hard to resist. Here’s how to do it:
1. Season the gizzards with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you like.
2. In a shallow dish, beat one or two eggs, depending on how many gizzards you are cooking.
3. In another shallow dish, add flour, seasoned with salt and pepper.
4. Dip each gizzard piece into the beaten egg, then coat it with the flour mixture.
5. Heat oil in a pot or a deep frying pan over medium-high heat.
6. Add the gizzards to the hot oil, a few at a time, and fry them for 5-7 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
7. Remove the gizzards from the oil using a slotted spoon and place them on paper towels to drain.
Baking Chicken Gizzards
Baking chicken gizzards is a healthy way to cook them while still keeping them flavorful and juicy. Here’s how to do it:
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
2. Season the gizzards with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you like.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the gizzards on it in a single layer.
4. Drizzle the gizzards with olive oil or melted butter.
5. Bake the gizzards for 20-25 minutes, or until they are cooked through and tender.
Sauteing Chicken Gizzards
Sauteing is another easy way to cook chicken gizzards. Here’s how to do it:
1. Cut the gizzards into thin slices, and season them with salt, pepper, and other seasonings of your choice.
2. Heat oil or butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add the gizzards to the skillet and cook them for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until they are browned and cooked through.
4. Serve the gizzards hot with a side dish of your choice.
Tips and Tricks
– If you’re not sure if the gizzards are cooked through, you can cut them open to see if they are still pink in the middle.
– You can marinate the gizzards in your favorite marinade for a few hours before cooking them for extra flavor.
– Chicken gizzards are great for adding to stews, soups, and casseroles.
– You can also grill chicken gizzards on skewers for a tasty appetizer.
Q: Are chicken gizzards healthy to eat?
A: Yes, chicken gizzards are a good source of protein, iron, and vitamin B12.
Q: How do you store cooked chicken gizzards?
A: Store cooked chicken gizzards in an airtight container in the refrigerated for up to 3-4 days.
Q: Can you freeze chicken gizzards?
A: Yes, you can freeze cooked or uncooked chicken gizzards for up to 3 months.