Bacon is undeniably one of the tastiest breakfast meats. However, the traditional method of cooking bacon in a skillet or oven can be messy and time-consuming. Fortunately, air fryers provide a quick and easy way to cook bacon with less mess. In this guide, we will show you how to cook bacon in an air fryer to perfection every time.
Choose the Right Bacon
Before you start cooking bacon in the air fryer, you should choose the right type of bacon. You can use any type of bacon for air frying, but we recommend using thick-cut bacon. Thick-cut bacon will give you a crispy texture while keeping the bacon’s flavor and juiciness intact.
Another thing to keep in mind when selecting the bacon is the fat content. Bacon with higher fat content cooks faster, but the fat may also splatter more. Depending on your preference, you can choose bacon with a higher or a lower fat content.
Preparing the Air Fryer and Bacon
Once you have the bacon, it’s time to get the air fryer ready.
1. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. This should take about 3-5 minutes.
2. While the air fryer is preheating, line the bottom of the fryer basket with parchment paper. The parchment paper will prevent the bacon from sticking to the basket.
3. Take the bacon and cut it into smaller pieces. You can cut the bacon into any size you prefer, but cutting them into 3-4 smaller pieces will help it cook evenly.
Cooking Bacon in Air Fryer
Now that the bacon is ready, it’s time to start cooking.
1. Place the bacon pieces in a single layer inside the air fryer. Make sure that the bacon pieces do not overlap. If you need to cook more bacon than you can fit in one layer, cook the bacon in batches.
2. Cook the bacon for 8-10 minutes, depending on how crispy you like it.
3. After the first 5 minutes, open the air fryer and check the bacon for doneness. If necessary, flip the bacon pieces for even cooking.
4. Once the bacon is cooked to your desired crispiness, remove it from the air fryer and place it on a plate lined with paper towels. The paper towels will help absorb any excess grease.
Cleaning up after cooking bacon in an air fryer is quick and easy.
1. Let the air fryer cool down before cleaning it.
2. Once the air fryer is cool, remove the basket and discard the parchment paper.
3. Clean the basket and tray with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge or cloth. Do not use metal utensils to clean the basket, as they can scratch the non-stick coating.
Tips and Tricks
– For added flavor, sprinkle some black pepper or brown sugar on top of the bacon before cooking.
– If you like your bacon extra crispy, cook it for an additional 1-2 minutes.
– For the best results, use a quality air fryer with an adjustable temperature control.
– Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket. Overcrowding can result in uneven cooking and less crispy bacon.
Q: Can I cook bacon in a parchment paper-lined air fryer basket?
A: Yes, you can cook bacon with a parchment paper-lined basket. The parchment paper helps keep the bacon from sticking to the basket.
Q: How long should I preheat the air fryer before cooking bacon?
A: Preheat the air fryer for 3-5 minutes. This should be enough time for the air fryer to reach the desired temperature.
Q: Can I cook turkey bacon in an air fryer?
A: Yes, you can cook turkey bacon in an air fryer. Follow the same instructions for cooking regular bacon.
Q: Can I use aluminum foil instead of parchment paper?
A: Yes, you can use aluminum foil instead of parchment paper. But it may not work as well as parchment paper. Aluminum foil may cause the bacon to stick to the basket.
Q: What should I do with the bacon grease?
A: Do not pour bacon grease down the drain. Instead, let the grease cool down and solidify. Then, scrape it into a separate container and dispose of it in the trash.
In conclusion, cooking bacon in an air fryer is quick, easy, and less messy. With this comprehensive guide, you can cook bacon to perfection every time. Remember to choose the right bacon, cut it into smaller pieces, and arrange it in a single layer. Cook the bacon for 8-10 minutes, and you’ll have crispy, tasty bacon to enjoy in no time.