Roast potatoes are the ultimate side dish that can make any meal shine. The crispy texture and the mouth-watering taste is something that we all crave for. Cooking roast potatoes traditionally can be time-consuming and use a lot of oil, which can make it unhealthy. However, using an air fryer to cook roast potatoes is not only quick and easy but also a healthier option. In this article, we will guide you on how to cook roast potatoes in an air fryer in just a few simple steps.
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that uses hot air circulation to cook food. It works by circulating hot air around the food, giving it a crispy texture like that of deep frying. Unlike deep frying, air fryers use little to no oil, making it a healthier option to cook your favorite dishes.
The Ingredients You Will Need
To cook roast potatoes in an air fryer, you will need the following ingredients:
– Potatoes (preferably roasting potatoes like Maris Piper)
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– Salt and pepper
Step-by-Step Instructions to Cook Roast Potatoes in an Air Fryer
Now, let’s get to the main part of the article, the step-by-step instructions for cooking roast potatoes in an air fryer.
1. Preheat your air fryer to 180°C.
2. Peel and chop the potatoes into equal-sized pieces. We recommend chopping them into small cubes as they will cook faster and evenly.
3. Rinse the chopped potatoes with cold water to remove excess starch and pat them dry with a clean towel or paper towel.
4. In a bowl, toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Make sure that the oil is evenly distributed on the potatoes.
5. Add salt and pepper to the potatoes as per your taste. You can also add any other seasoning that you like.
6. Put the potatoes into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Avoid overcrowding the basket as that will prevent the potatoes from cooking evenly.
7. Set the timer for 20-25 minutes, depending on the size of your potatoes and your preferred level of crispiness.
8. After 15 minutes, use a tong to shake the basket, so the potatoes cook evenly. You can also flip the potatoes to ensure that they are crispy on all sides.
9. Once the timer goes off, check if the potatoes are cooked by inserting a fork into a potato. If it goes through easily, the potatoes are cooked, if not, cook for another 5 minutes.
10. Once the potatoes are cooked, take them out of the air fryer and place them onto a plate. Sprinkle some more salt if required, and they are ready to serve.
1. Can I use any type of potatoes to make roast potatoes in an air fryer?
Yes, you can use any type of potatoes to make roast potatoes in an air fryer, but we recommend using roasting potatoes like Maris Piper as they have a better texture when roasted.
2. Do I need to preheat the air fryer before cooking?
Yes, preheating the air fryer is recommended as it will help the potatoes cook evenly and give them a crispy texture.
3. Can I add other seasoning to the potatoes?
Yes, you can add any seasoning of your choice to the potatoes. You can also experiment with different spices and herbs to give them a unique taste.
4. Can I cook other dishes in the air fryer?
Yes, an air fryer can be used to cook many dishes like chicken, fish, vegetables, and even desserts.
5. Is it okay to overcrowd the air fryer basket?
No, overcrowding the air fryer basket is not recommended as it will prevent the food from cooking evenly and giving them a crisp texture.
In conclusion, cooking roast potatoes in an air fryer is an easy and healthy option. You can achieve the same crispy texture without using too much oil. With the step-by-step guide given above, you can make perfectly crispy roast potatoes in an air fryer in no time.