Meatballs are one of the most versatile and delicious dishes you can cook. They can be served with pasta, on a sub sandwich, or on their own as a main course. Not only that, but they are also relatively simple to make. In this article, we will show you how to cook meatballs on the stove in just a few easy steps.
What You Will Need
Before we get started, it’s important to gather all the necessary ingredients and equipment. Here’s what you’ll need:
– Ground meat (beef, pork, or a mix of the two)
– Breadcrumbs (fresh or dry)
– Garlic powder
– Onion powder
– Olive oil
– Large skillet or frying pan with a lid
– Tablespoon and teaspoon (for measuring)
– Mixing bowl
1. In a mixing bowl, add one pound of ground meat (beef, pork, or a mix of the two).
2. Add half a cup of breadcrumbs and mix well.
3. Beat one egg in a separate bowl and add it to the meat mixture.
4. Pour half a cup of milk into the mixture and continue mixing.
5. Add one teaspoon of salt, one teaspoon of garlic powder, and one teaspoon of onion powder. Mix well.
6. Shape the mixture into meatballs that are about 1-2 inches in diameter.
7. Place the meatballs on a plate and set it aside.
Now that the meatballs are ready, it’s time to cook them!
1. Heat about two tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat.
2. Once heated, add the meatballs to the skillet (make sure they are evenly spaced out).
3. Sear the meatballs on one side for about 2-3 minutes or until browned.
4. Flip the meatballs over using tongs or a spatula and sear the other side for an additional 2-3 minutes.
5. Reduce the heat to low and cover the skillet with a lid.
6. Let the meatballs cook for about 15-20 minutes or until they are cooked through (make sure to check with a meat thermometer if you’re not sure).
7. Once cooked, transfer the meatballs to a plate and serve hot.
Tips and Tricks
– If you find that your meatballs are falling apart, try refrigerating the mixture for at least an hour before shaping into balls.
– To add some extra flavor, try mixing in some chopped herbs (such as parsley or basil) or grated Parmesan cheese into the meat mixture.
– Don’t overcrowd the skillet or frying pan when cooking the meatballs. This will help ensure that they brown evenly and don’t stick together.
As mentioned earlier, meatballs can be served in a variety of ways:
– With pasta and marinara sauce
– On a sub sandwich with cheese and marinara sauce
– On their own as a main course (serve with a side of vegetables or mashed potatoes)
Q: Can I use a different type of meat?
A: Yes, you can use ground turkey, chicken, or even lamb. Just remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Q: Do I need to use breadcrumbs?
A: No, you can also use crushed saltine crackers or even oatmeal as a substitute.
Q: Can I bake the meatballs instead?
A: Yes, you can bake them in a preheated oven at 375°F for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
Q: Can I freeze the meatballs?
A: Yes, you can freeze them either before or after cooking. Just place them on a baking sheet in a single layer and freeze for about an hour before transferring them to a freezer-safe container or bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.