Cooking chicken breast can be a daunting task, especially if you’re new to the game. The Instant Pot, however, makes it incredibly easy and convenient. In this article, we’ll take you through the step-by-step process of cooking chicken breast in your Instant Pot, from preparing the chicken to serving it on your plate.
Choosing the Right Chicken Breast
The first step in cooking chicken in your Instant Pot is to choose the right chicken breast. When shopping for chicken, look for a package that has similar-sized chicken breasts that are about 1 inch thick. This will ensure they cook evenly in the Instant Pot.
Preparing the Chicken Breast
Before you throw the chicken into the Instant Pot, it’s important to prepare it properly. Here are the steps:
1. Rinse the chicken breasts under cool water.
2. Pat dry the chicken using paper towels.
3. Season the chicken with your preferred spices. You can use anything from salt and pepper to garlic or onion powder.
4. Cut the chicken breast into smaller pieces if necessary. This will help them cook more quickly and evenly.
Using Your Instant Pot to Cook Chicken Breasts
Once you’ve chosen your chicken and prepared it accordingly, it’s time to cook it in your Instant Pot! Here’s how:
1. Place the trivet in the bottom of your Instant Pot. This ensures that the chicken doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn.
2. Pour in 1 cup of water.
3. Place the seasoned chicken breasts on top of the trivet.
4. Secure the lid of the Instant Pot and set the valve to “sealing”.
5. Press the “Manual” button and set the timer to 7 minutes.
6. The Instant Pot will take some time to build pressure before it starts cooking. This can take around 10 minutes.
7. Once the cooking time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes before using the quick release to let the remaining pressure out.
8. Open the lid and check the internal temperature of the chicken. It should read 165°F.
9. Take the chicken out of the Instant Pot and serve it hot.
What to Serve with Your Instant Pot Chicken Breast
Your Instant Pot chicken breasts are the perfect protein addition to almost any dish. Here are a few ideas of what to serve with them:
1. Steamed vegetables – broccoli, green beans, and asparagus are all great choices.
2. Rice – brown rice or quinoa pairs perfectly with chicken.
3. Salad – add the chicken to a bed of fresh greens for a light and nutritious meal.
4. Potatoes – try roasted sweet potatoes or mashed potatoes with the chicken.
Q: How do I clean my Instant Pot?
A: To clean your Instant Pot, first unplug it and let it cool. Then, remove the inner pot and wash it with soap and water. Use a sponge or brush to scrub the pot as necessary. Wipe the exterior of the Instant Pot with a damp cloth. Finally, let the unit dry completely before storing it.
Q: Can I freeze cooked chicken breast?
A: Yes, cooked chicken breast can be frozen for up to six months. Let the chicken cool to room temperature before storing it in an airtight container or freeze bag. Label the chicken with the date and contents before storing it in the freezer.
Q: What if I don’t have a trivet?
A: If you don’t have a trivet for your Instant Pot, you can make one out of aluminum foil. Simply tear off a sheet of foil and fold it into a spiral shape. Place the spiral in the bottom of the Instant Pot before adding the water and chicken breasts.